|The History Of The
USS Enoree, AO/TAO-69
The following information was acquired from the Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships,Volume II, 1963: (Webmaster note: Some dates in 1951 were in
error and have been changed by the Webmaster who served aboard during that period)
Name Source: Enoree, a river in South Carolina
Keel Laid: 8 April, 1942, Launched: 29 August, 1942, Acquired by the US Navy: 29 August, 1942,
Delivered: 19 January, 1943, Commissioned: 23 January, 1943.
Length: Five hundred one (501) feet, seven and three quarters (7 3/4) inches
Breadth: Sixty two (62) feet, two (2) inches.
Designed Maximum Speed: 15.5 Knots.
Capacity: Approximately sixty million (60,000,000) gallons of fuel oil, diesel oil and aviation gasoline in twenty four (24) tanks. After a one hundred sixty (160)
ton crane was added in March, 1944, the capacity was reduced by approximately one million (1,000,000) gallons.
Armament: One 5" 38 Gun, Four 3" 50 guns and sixteen 20 MM guns. At the time the crane was installed, four 20 MM guns were removed and two twin
mount 40MM guns were added.
Compliment: Wartime: two hundred forty (240) enlisted and fifteen (15) officers. Peacetime: one hundred sixty eight (168) enlisted and fifteen (15) officers.
Call Sign: Nan.....Zebra.....King.....Charley (See Signal Flags Above)
The Mission: To transport cargo, oil, some passengers, small craft, freight and provisions. At sea and in port to fuel any type of vessel. With the addition of
the crane, to load and unload LCT's onto and from LST's.
The USS Enoree, AO-69, formerly Sachem, was built for the Maritime Commission by the Bethlehem Steel Co., Sparrows Point, MD> At commissioning,
Commander W. S. Campbell assumed command
From 1 April, 1943 to 15 March, 1944, she made several transatlantic convoy crossings to ports in Northern Ireland and North Africa as well as trips to
Norfolk, VA and Texas ports.
On 15 April, 1944, the Enoree completed a yard overhaul during which she had installed a one hundred sixty (160) ton crane. Proceding to Pearl Harbor on 19
May, 1944, she began her important role in fueling and supplying ammunitioons to the ships which operated against the Marianas during the summer months. In
September she fueled the naval forces involved in the western Caroline Islands offensive.
Arriving at Ulithi on 13 October, she was assigned as station tanker and designated to assist in salvage operations. For the remainder of the war she used this as
home port, radiating out to fuel elements of the 3rd and 5th Fleets in support of drives against Luzon and Okinawa. In October, 1945 she joined the Occupation
Forces in Japan, remaining there until March, 1946.
Following a stay in Buckner Bay, she took part in the Atomic Bomb tests at Bikini Atoll. She returned to San Francisco, CA on 4 October, 1946. From there,
she, with a tug in tow, returned to the east coast where, in the Philalelphia Navy Yard, she was decommissioned on 17 March, 1947 and placed in reserve.
With the Korean conflict underway in 1950, the Enoree was recalled to active duty and placed in commission on 18 October of that year with Commander
Samuel H. Pattie in command. After training exercises and coastal operations, she departed with a load of Aviation Fuel for Pearl Harbor, HI on 2 February,
1951, arriving on 25 February. Later in the spring of that year, she returned to San Francisco, CA where she spent time undergoing modifications and
upgrading. She then returned to the Atlantic coast via the Panama Canal. While in San Francisco, she was transferred from the US Naval Pacific Fleet and
assigned duties with the Military Sea Transport Services, resulting in the designation change from AO-69 to TAO-69. From that time, she resupplied Naval
stations and facilities in the Pacific, Atlantic and Arctic oceans. She visited numerous foreign countries such as Germany, Iceland, Greenland, Cuba, Aruba and
Trinidad as well as many other territories such as Puerto Rico, etc. After the Korean Truce was effected, she continued her duties as a supply oiler for MSTS
until 10 December, 1954 when she was once again decommissioned and placed in the San Diego Group of the Pacific Reserve Fleet.
She was brought out of mothballs one last time and recommissioned for the third time on 10 December, 1956 but remained on the active rolls only until 22
October, 1957. On 1 February, 1959, she was stricken from the Navy List and transferred to the National Defense Fleet at Beaumont, TX.
On 10 May, 1976 she was sold to Luria Brothers and Company, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio and was taken to Brownsville, TX to be disassembled for scrap. The
scrap metal was sold to Mexico City, Mexico and was used for building reinforcements.
Her remains are there today.
|American Campaign Medal
Europe-Africa-Middle East Campaign Medal (1 battle star)
World War II Victory Medal
Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal (5 battle stars)
U S Navy Occupation Service Medal (with Asia and Europe Clasps)
National Defense Service Medal
Philippines Liberation Medal (1 battle star)
Philippines Presidential Unit Citation